Los Angeles Invisalign
Invisible braces: Invisalign
If over-crowded, crooked teeth prevent you from smiling to the fullest; braces is the best option for you. But are you comfortable with visible metal brackets on your teeth?
Visible braces are loaded with wires and brackets that can poke your mucosal tissue or may even irritate your teeth. Most people find metal (or other visible braces) quiet embarrassing and difficult to manage (especially considering the great deal of effort required for brushing and flossing).
To help solve all these problems, dentists now have an innovative solution in the form of ‘Invisalign’ or similar products.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is made up of customized aligners that are designed only for your teeth. It comprises of invisible, comfortable plastic trays that are worn over the teeth. With proper use, you will observe a gentle and gradual shift in the alignment of your teeth in accordance with the movement your orthodontist has planned for you.
What makes Invisalign more special is the fact that these aligners are smooth, more functional, and convenient. A study published in the American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics (1) compared the efficacy, patient compliance, and ease of use of Invisalign and other fixed dental appliances on 60 adult patients. After 7 days of the procedure, orthodontic patients on Invisalign reported far less pain, discomfort, facial swelling and negative influence on personal life than those who received fixed appliances.
Investigators believe that Invisalign can help in maintaining patient compliance during long term treatments.
Why opt for Invisalign?
There are a few reasons why one should choose invisible braces over metal braces; such as:
- Invisibility: invisible braces are made out of plastic; therefore offer no visibility on a casual look.
- Ease: these aligners are easy to remove whenever needed. Unlike metal braces that are hard to be displaced; Invisalign does not present the issue of food getting stuck between the teeth; in fact cleaning is also easy and less extensive.
- Comfortable: the smooth plastic surface provides a non-gritty surface to support your teeth.
- Hygienic: Invisalign is more hygienic than metal braces because you can clean it more often.
Who are ideal candidates for Invisalign?
Most promising results are achieved when Invisalign is used for following indications:
- Misalignment or overcrowding of the teeth (in the range of 1-5 mm)
- When there are gaps between the teeth (spacing issued between 1- 5 mm)
- Type 2 Malocclusion issues (such as deep overbite)
- Moderately narrow arches